Peer-Reviewed Research Journal Articles
Burlig, F. & A. W. Stevens (2023). Social networks and technology adoption: Evidence from church mergers in the U.S. Midwest. American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Teal, J. & A. W. Stevens (2023). Race and premium misrating in the U.S. Federal Crop Insurance Program. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy.
Stevens, A. W. & J. Teal (2023). Diversification and resilience of firms in the agrifood supply chain. American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Court, C. D., D. Outerbridge, L. Baker, L. Birou, C. Campbell, G. DiGiacomo, S. Galindo, J. Lai, A. Magnier, M. Miller, G. de L. T. Oliveira, E. Orlando, H. H. Peterson, X. Qiao, F. Roka, A. Ropicki, B. B. Saha, A. W. Stevens, & L. Zhang (2023). Pandemic Produce: Impacts of COVID-19 on Florida’s Fruit and Vegetable Industries. Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, 21(1), 69–88.
Peterson, H. H., G. DiGiacomo, C. Court, M. Miller, G. Oliveira, A. W. Stevens, L. Zhang, L. Baker, J. Nowak, E. Orlando, & B. B. Saha (2023). Impacts of COVID-19 on US food supply chain businesses: Regional survey results. PLoS ONE, 18(2), e0281930.
Pinto, P., S. Cartoni-Casamitjana, C. Cureton, A. W. Stevens, D. E. Stoltenberg, J. Zimbric, & V. D. Picasso (2022). Intercropping legumes and intermediate wheatgrass increases forage yield, nutritive value, and profitability without reducing grain yields. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 6, 977841.
Fan, L. A. W. Stevens, & B. Thomas (2022). Consumer purchasing response to genetically engineered labeling. Food Policy, 110, 102296.
Picasso, V. D., M. Berti, K. Cassida, S. Collier, D. Fang, A. Finan, M. Krome, D. Hannaway, W. Lamp, A. W. Stevens, & C. Williams (2022). Diverse perennial circular forage systems are needed to foster resilience, ecosystem services, and socioeconomic benefits in agricultural landscapes. Grassland Research, 1(2), 123–130.
Stevens, A. W. & K. Wu (2022). Land Tenure and Profitability Among Young Farmers and Ranchers. Agricultural Finance Review, 82(3), 486–504.
Stevens, A. W. (2022). The economics of land tenure and soil health. Soil Security, 6, 100047.
Stevens, A. W. (2022). Nontraditional Credit in the Wisconsin Dairy Industry. Agricultural Finance Review, 82(2), 310–328.
Stevens, A. W. & D. W. Bromley (2021). Rural Counties That Rely on Dairy and Animal Agriculture Saw Higher Unemployment Rates due to COVID-19. Choices, 36(3).
Berck, P., G. Englander, S. Gold, S. He, J. Horsager, S. Kaplan, M. Sears, A. Stevens, C. Trachtman, R. Taylor, & S. B. Villas-Boas (2021). Recycling Policies, Behavior and Convenience: Survey Evidence from the CalRecycle Program. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 43(2), 641–658.
Liao, S. F., M. S. Hasan, Z. Yang, A. W. Stevens, J. Brett, & Z. Peng (2020). Feeding Arsenic-Containing Rice Bran to Growing Pigs: Growth Performance, Arsenic Tissue Distribution, and Arsenic Excretion. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(22), 8530.
Stevens, A. W. (2019). Economic Theory Provides Insights for Soil Health Policy. Choices, 34(2).
Stevens, A. W. (2019). Assessing Student Learning Using a Digital Grading Platform. Applied Economics Teaching Resources, 1(1), 18–24.
Hilger, J., E. Hallstein, A. W. Stevens, & S. Villas-Boas (2019). Measuring Willingness to Pay for Environmental Attributes in Seafood. Environmental and Resource Economics, 73(1), 307–332.
Stevens, A. W. (2018). Review: The economics of soil health. Food Policy, 80, 1–9.
Stevens, A. W. (2017). Quinoa quandary: Cultural tastes and nutrition in Peru. Food Policy, 71, 132–142.
Berck, P., J. Moe-Lange, A. Stevens, & S. Villas-Boas (2016). Measuring Consumer Responses to a Bottled Water Tax Policy. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 98(4), 981–996.
Englander, G., A. W. Stevens, R. L. C. Taylor, & S. B. Villas-Boas (2023). The Impact of Ecolabels and Green Taxes on Market Outcomes. In M. d. G. Garcia & A. Cortês (Eds.). Blue Planet Law: The Ecology of our Economic and Technological World (pp. 159–172). Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
Peer-Reviewed Teaching Case Studies
J. M. Pahl & A. W. Stevens (2022). Budz Butter: An Entrepreneurial (Ad)venture into the World of CBD. Journal of Case Studies, 40(1), 33–47. (2022 Best Case Award, Journal of Case Studies, Society for Case Research.)
Stevens, A. W. & J. M. Pahl (2021). High Stakes: Managing Risk and Policy Uncertainty in the Market for CBD Food Products. Applied Economics Teaching Resources.
Walsh, K. M., B. P. Kokinos, M. Grez-Capdeville, L. A. Amundson, A. W. Stevens, J.-P. Chavas, & T. D. Crenshaw (2022). 206 Efficacy of Using Ammonium Chloride Supplements During Crisis Management to Stop Growth in Various Ages of Pigs. Journal of Animal Science, 100(Issue Supplement 3), 94.
Stevens, A. W., K. Bernhardt, J. Vanderlin, & T. Wagner (2021). Many Wisconsin dairy farmers borrow from nontraditional lenders. Fact sheet. University of Wisconsin–Madison Division of Extension.
Liao, S. F., S. Hasan, A. W. Stevens, Z. Yang, J. M. Feugang, & Z. Peng (2021). PSIV-B-20 A fecal arsenic excretion pattern in pigs fed arsenic-containing rice bran. Journal of Animal Science, 99(Issue Supplement 3), 389.
Liao, S. F., M. S. Hasan, Z. Yang, A. W. Stevens, J. Brett, & Z. Peng (2020). PSIII-29 Feeding arsenic-containing rice bran to growing pigs: arsenic distribution in major tissues. Journal of Animal Science, 98(Issue Supplement 4), 365.
Stevens, A. W. (2019). Theme Overview: Soil Health Policy in the United States and Abroad. Choices, 34(2).
Berck, P., G. Englander, S. Gold, Y. He, J. Horsager, S. Kaplan, A. Stevens, R. Taylor, C. Trachtman, M. Van Dop, & S. Villas-Boas (2018). Convenient Beverage Recycling in California. A Report to the California State Legislature.
Stevens, A., P. Berck, & S. B. Villas-Boas (2016). Taxing Bottled Water as an Environmental Policy. Agricultural and Resource Economics Update, 19(4): 9–11. University of California Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics.
Stevens, A. W., “Temperature, Wages, and Agricultural Labor Productivity.”
Stevens, A. W., “Ethanol Refineries and Local Land Use.”
Stevens, A. W. & W. B. Bradley, “Crop Rotations and Risk Management in Mississippi Delta Agriculture.”
Stevens, A. W., “Estimating Agricultural Acreage Responses to Input Prices: Groundwater in California.”
Berck, P., M. Blundell, G. Englander, S. Gold, S. He, J. Horsager, S. Kaplan, M. Sears, A. Stevens, C. Trachtman, R. Taylor, S. B. Villas-Boas, & C. S. Berck, “Recycling Behavior and Convenience.”
Stevens, A. W., “Labor Relations, Brand Value, and Trust in Agricultural Cooperatives.”
Wells, K. K., M. G. Interis, A. Harri, & A. W. Stevens, “Using a theoretically consistent combined revealed and stated preference method for valuation when use data are sparse or nonexistent.”
In the News
- May 31, 2023: Market Day Report (live TV interview) – RFD-TV (cable)
- May 30, 2023: Study shows horizontal diversification helped farms, processors survive COVID-19 – Brownfield Ag News
- May 30, 2023: Which farms were more likely to survive the pandemic? – RFD-TV.com
- May 26, 2023: Study shows how farms and businesses survived COVID – Brownfield Ag News
- May 2, 2023: Good to Grow: Road to food sustainability from farmers to consumers introduces unique challenges, solutions – The Badger Herald
- April 25, 2023: COVID market disruptions were tougher on small firms spread up and down supply chain
- February 17, 2023: Yearlong avian flu outbreak contributes to high egg costs – The Badger Herald
- January 26, 2023: How California floods affect Madison’s shelves – The Daily Cardinal
- January 23, 2023: People experiencing sticker shock grocery shopping (live TV interview) – WISN ABC12; Milwaukee, WI
- January 23, 2023: Storms in California raising produce prices in Wisconsin (TV news story) – WMTV NBC15; Madison, WI
- January 11, 2023: Legislation by Sen. Tammy Baldwin requires more transparency around foreign owners of US farmland – Wisconsin Public Radio
- December 15, 2022: Can food labels shape consumer behavior?
- December 13, 2022: Who gets to live on the land? (book review) – The Christian Century
- December 7, 2022: Dane County’s Farmland Preservation Plan provides farmers with tax incentives and protections on existing farmland – Madison Commons
- November 23, 2022: Local food pantries try to meet increased demand as food prices rise – WXPR; Rhinelander, WI
- November 1, 2022: Would going out for your Thanksgiving meal cost less than making it from scratch? – KVUE ABC24; Austin, TX
- October 2, 2022: Quinoa Farmers Can Grow 3,000 Varieties In Peru. The World May Need Them Soon. | Big Business (YouTube video) – Business Insider
- August 3, 2022: AAE’s Andrew Stevens receives AAEA 2022 Outstanding Young Scholar Award
- May 27, 2022: Memorial Day BBQ costing more for shoppers as meat prices spike heading into weekend (TV news story) – TMJ4; Milwaukee, WI
- April 26, 2022: Inflation hits Wisconsin food pantries and the families they support – PBS Wisconsin
- February 7, 2022: Research projects show future of Wisconsin Idea
- February 2, 2022: Monoculture, Externalities, and Observations with Agro Economist Andrew Stevens | TOPIA Exhibition (YouTube video) – Ben Orozco
- December 30, 2021: UW researchers working to show perennials are profitable through new $10M project – Wisconsin Public Radio
- November 29, 2021: Agricultural economist tackles potential food shortage – The Country Today
- November 11, 2021: Our social contract needs to be renewed (book review) – The Christian Century
- October 6, 2021: New $10M project to study, support diverse perennial forage systems
- September 28, 2021: Why Americans Eat So Much Meat – Cheddar Explains (YouTube video) – Cheddar News
- September 27, 2021: Charting a future for agriculture – The Country Today
- September 10, 2021: Greater Unemployment In Animal Ag (radio interview) – The Mid-West Farm Report
- June 2, 2021: Beef, pork production disrupted worldwide as largest producer recovers from cyberattack (TV news story) – WNYW FOX5; New York, NY
- February 18, 2021: Gas prices to increase as Texas refineries freeze (TV news story) – WDJT CBS58; Milwaukee, WI
- February 17, 2021: Drivers may have to spend more for gas over the next two weeks following Texas blackout (TV news story) – WMTV NBC15; Madison, WI
- November, 2020: Labor Revelations – Meatingplace (pages 28-37)
- November 20, 2020: UW–Madison involved in USDA project to explore lessons learned from pandemic’s impact on food systems
- November 19, 2020: Food insecurity during COVID-19 impacts the nation and college campuses – The Daily Cardinal
- November 14, 2020: UW–Madison leads new USDA-funded collaborative project to study U.S. food flows
- September/October, 2020: UW’s Swine Nutrition Group Receives NIFA Funding – Pork Headlines (page 5)
- August 15, 2020: A famous West African chef and a Dean & Deluca alum have a new ‘it’ grain that could unseat quinoa – Fortune
- July 23, 2020: Is LGBT equality economically beneficial for all? (book review) – The Christian Century
- June 16, 2020: Meat Industry Continues To Adapt To COVID-19 – WORT Local News, WORT 89.9 FM, Madison, WI
- June 16, 2020: COVID-19 and the meat supply chain – Badger Talks video, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- May 21, 2020: USDA Outlines Rules For $19 Billion In Farm Aid – Central Time, Wisconsin Public Radio
- May 17, 2020: COVID-19 taking toll on economy, experts say (TV news story) – WMTV NBC15; Madison, WI
- May 6, 2020: Why U.S. meatpacking workers are vulnerable to coronavirus, and why the industry won’t easily change – Green Bay Press Gazette
- May 5, 2020: No shortage expected, but meat supply could see new constraints – PolitiFact
- January 9, 2020: How wealth and unjust tax policy erode democracy (book review) – The Christian Century
- October 23, 2019: New faculty profile: Andrew Stevens studies economic decision-making in the food supply chain – University of Wisconsin–Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences
- November 12, 2018: An economist’s call for a politics of global solidarity (book review) – The Christian Century
- October 31, 2018: New study finds that when it comes to sustainability, Americans are willing to pay – NOAA Fisheries Southwest Fisheries Science Center
- February 7, 2017: The Quinoa Revolution! – Stuff You Should Know Podcast (referenced at approx. 32:50)
- December 6, 2016: Taxes on bottled water are better at raising money than reducing litter – LSE USAPP Blog
- July, 2016: Consumers Respond to a Tax on Bottled Water (Guest Editorial) – Today’s Grocer (must select page 6)
- July 17, 2016: Quinoa isn’t a threat to food security. It’s improving Peruvian farmers’ lives – The Guardian
- May 18, 2016: Plummeting quinoa prices are hurting farmers in Peru and Bolivia – The Economist
- April 27, 2016: Podcast Interview – This Is Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- April 18, 2016: It is OK to eat quinoa – Eat This Podcast
- March 31, 2016: Your Quinoa Habit Really Did Help Peru’s Poor. But There’s Trouble Ahead – The Salt, National Public Radio
- March 11, 2016: At Calif. Campuses, A Test For Free Speech, Privacy And Cybersecurity – All Tech Considered, National Public Radio
- January 25, 2016: AAEA Trust Profile
- June 3, 2014: Radio Interview – The Graduates, KALX 90.7 FM, Berkeley, CA
- April, 2012: Research charts path to sustainable cities, University of Chicago News Feature